Friday, June 26, 2009

Aulong rep Yew sues Perak Deputy Speaker Hee - Star

June 27, 2009 By CHRISTINA KOH

IPOH: Aulong assemblyman Yew Tian Hoe is suing Perak deputy speaker Hee Yit Foong for allegedly assaulting him in the face with pepper spray during the tumultous May 7 assembly sitting.

Yew's lawyer Leong Cheok Keng filed the papers at the High Court Registrar here at 11.15am Friday.

Yew, wearing a black T-shirt and a headband with the words 'Bubar Dun', was accompanied by Taiping MP Nga Kor Ming, Titi Serong assemblyman Dr Khalil Idham Lim Abdullah and other Pakatan Rakyat members.

According to the statement of claim, Yew alleged that Hee had attacked him by spraying a pepper spray canister into his face, particularly his left eye.

As a result, he suffered pain and injury, mental shock and trauma, loss of dignity, and consequently public shame, humiliation and mental distress.

The statement added that Hee was unrepentant and had refused or failed to apologise even though given the opportunity to do so.

"She had told lies to the mass media claiming that the device had been a hotel key chain or a pen drive, before admitting that the same was actually a pepper spray canister," it said.

Claiming that Hee's actions were motivated by malice, Yew is suing for an injunction to restrain Hee and her agents from further abuse or battery, damages, aggravated damages, exemplary damages, interest, costs and other relief.

Speaking to reporters, Yew called on Hee to step down as deputy State Assembly Speaker as she was unfit for the post.

He said he had proof, through DVD video footage, that Hee herself had been holding the pepper spray long before the incident.

"Before I entered the assembly hall, I was near here and I saw that she had it in her hand.

"To this day, sometimes I still have trouble seeing out of this eye," said Yew who urged Hee to take responsibility for her actions.

Nga, who is also Perak DAP chairman, said the suit should serve to send an important message that the sanctity of the assembly hall must be preserved.

Nga added that Yew had waited more than a month for Hee's apology.

Last month, Hee had told reporters that someone had flung the device at her during the confusion, and that she only held up the pepper spray towards Yew to demand if he had thrown it.

Yew, in turn, denied Friday that he had ever flung the device at her.

No comments: