March 5, 2009 By SYLVIA LOOI
IPOH: All those involved in the illegal assembly in front of the state secretariat building on Tuesday will be called in by the police to give their statements.
State police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Zulkifli Abdullah said this included all the Pakatan Rakyat assemblymen.
So far two assemblymen had been called to give their statements, he said here Thursday, declining to name them.
Speaking to reporters at the state police contingent after witnessing the handing over of duties from Asst Comm Zulkifli Hassan to Senior Asst Comm (II) Mohd Dzuraidi Ibrahim as the new state CID chief, DCP Zulkifli said police were now also looking for six men who were at the illegal assembly to assist in investigations.
The six were identified from photographs obtained from the media when police cordoned off the area to prevent the convening of an emergency state assembly sitting in the building.
More photographs will be released as and when they are available, he said adding that the case was being investigated under Section 27 (5) of the Police Act for illegal assembly.
To a question, DCP Zulkifli said no arrests were made during the assembly and police did not receive reports of anyone being injured during the incident.
On plans by Pakatan to file a case in court against the police for stopping the assembly sitting, DCP Zulkifli said:
“We are a democratic country. If they want to file, go ahead.”
DCP Zulkifli said that the police were merely carrying out their duties on that day to ensure peace and harmony.
On another matter, DCP Zulkifli said a total of 13 people had been charged over the ruckus on Feb 6 during the swearing-in of new Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Dr Zambry Abd Kadir in Kuala Kangsar.
Four more -- three men and a woman -- were charged at the Kuala Kangsar Magistrates Court on Wednesday, he added.