Sept 9, 2008
THERE has been a 28.8% drop in the number of dengue cases in Perak up to Aug 30, state Health, Environment and Human Resource Committee chairman A. Sivanesan said.
“There were 42 cases reported between Aug 24 and Aug 30 compared with the previous week. No deaths were reported.
“The Kinta district reported the highest number of cases with 20 cases, seven in the Manjung district and six in Kuala Kangsar.
“However, the total number of cases for the year to date has increased by 25.2% to 2,520 cases compared with 2,012 cases for the corresponding period last year,” he said recently.
Compounds worth a total of RM7,950 had been issued during that week, he added.
On the chikungunya outbreak, Sivanesan said as at July 29, no new cases had been reported in the Batang Padang district.
“Throughout the state, a total of 335 blood samples were taken and 100 people tested positive.
“Of this number, 95 cases were from Batang Padang, two each from Hulu Perak and Kinta, and one from Kuala Kangsar,” he said.