IPOH: The Star - June 3, 2008
The Pakatan Rakyat-led Perak Government is not out to “persecute” the former Barisan Nasional administration by demanding that it explains how it spent RM8mil in development funds in two-and-a-half months.
“All we want is documented proof on where the money has gone to. We are not out to point fingers,” Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin said yesterday.
“It is just that the money, meant for a year, was used up in just two-and-a-half months and we want to know why,” he said.
The issue cropped up last Friday when senior state executive council member Datuk Ngeh Koo Ham requested the Barisan administration to itemise the expenditure.
Speculation is rife that the money had been used for the March 8 polls
Earlier, after launching the National Geoscience Conference 2008 here, Nizar hinted that the state’s once-booming tin mining industry could see a revival by next year.
He disclosed that, boosted by the promising price of tin ore, several former tin mining companies had sought approval to mine at certain locations or even rehabilitate former mines.
“Since prices have remained stable at about RM60,000 and above a tonne, we believe that tin mining is one economic activity the state cannot overlook,” he said.
He said the earliest the companies could begin operations would be next year.
“We will issue them permits to conduct exploration work. This will take between four and six months,” he explained. “And if the site is suitable and far away from tracts marked for development of new townships or industrial zones, the state will give its full support.”