Feb 22, 2009 By CHRISTINA KOH
Datuk Seri Mohd Nizar Jamaluddin, his wife and their seven children loading up their family vehicle in preparation to move out of the Perak mentri besar's official residence today. – Pic by Choo Choy May. Courtesy of Malaysian Insider
IPOH: Former Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin expects “turmoil” at the next the state legislative assembly sitting when Pakatan Rakyat moves its motion of confidence to support him as the legitimate mentri besar.
He noted that state Assembly Speaker V. Sivakumar was seeking consent from the Sultan of Perak to convene a special assembly.
Nizar had earlier told reporters Sunday morning, as he was vacating the official MB residence, that he would be seeking a motion of no confidence against the Barisan government, but he clarified his statement later in the day.
He said he would be seeking a motion of confidence for himself as the legitimate MB and was confident that Pakatan would have the majority number.
Earlier, in the morning Nizar had said that he expected Barisan to have only 21 assemblymen against Pakatan’s 28 with the suspension of Mentri Besar Datuk Dr Zambry Abd Kadir, his six exco members and the “three frogs”.
He was referring to Behrang assemblyman Jamaluddin Mohd Radzi, Changkat Jering assemblyman Mohd Osman Mohd Jailu and Jelapang assemblyman Hee Yit Foong who quit Pakatan to become Barisan-friendly independents.
“This has to be tested inside the state assembly,” Nizar told a press conference before moving out of the official residence here on Sunday.
On Dr Zambry having declared that he and his six exco members would turn up for the next sitting, Nizar said: “They have been suspended by the Speaker.”
He reiterated that only the Speaker had the power to decide whom to suspend or expel from the House, and that his decision was final.
On accusations that the Speaker’s decision was biased, Nizar said: “As a Pakatan member and Tronoh assemblyman, obviously he will act based on truth and will decide what is fair and just.
“Umno is terrified and worried,” he added.
He also asked Perakians to pray for Sivakumar’s safety following supposed threats made against the Speaker, who has come under increased security.
Nizar claimed that Umno at one point was responsible for the kidnapping of the Kelatan Assembly Speaker some 20 years ago.
“Umno has a track record of kidnapping Speakers so we are doing all our best to protect and safeguard our Speaker,” he said.