IPOH: April 24, 2008 By SYLVIA LOOI
Thirteen Ipoh City Council (DBI) councillors appointed by the previous Barisan Nasional administration are calling it quits.
They comprise eight councillors from Umno, three from the People's Progressive Party (PPP) and two from MIC.
The 13 councillors are the last out of the council's 22 to announce their resignation after nine MCA and Gerakan councillors earlier submitted their resignation letters.
Council whip Datuk Raduan Mohd Kassim said the resignation letters of the 13 would be submitted as soon as all "loose ends" had been tied up.
"Being responsible people, we must ensure everything is in order before passing it over to the next person," he told reporters Thursday after the council's full board meeting.
However when asked when the letters would be submitted, Raduan said: "We will let you know later."
MIC councillor K. Rajakumar said the resignation letters of MIC councillors had been submitted to party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu recently.
"It is up to our party president when he wants to submit the letters," he said.
PPP councillor N. Vijay Chandran said the resignation letters of the party's councillors would be submitted together with those of the Umno councillors'.
"We are just following the instructions of state Barisan chief Datuk Seri Mohammad Tajol Rosli to resign as a matter of principle," he said.
Earlier, Datuk Bandar Datuk Mohamad Rafiai Moktar said the monthly full board meeting would still go on next month if there was quorum.
"If there is no (quorum), it will then be postponed," he said, adding that quorum for the meeting was 12.
Asked whether the resignation of the councillors would affect the council's services, Mohamad Rafiai said the councillors are still grassroots leaders.
"They can still forward their complaints to us," he said.