Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rep not used to the attention - The Star

April 26, 2008 By CHAN LI LEEN

PASIR PINJI assemblyman Thomas Su Keong Siong finds it somewhat hard to get by un-noticed these days and it has nothing to do with his huge size.

“I’m not used to the attention. People notice me even when I’m at the bank,” said Su who suddenly found himself projected into the limelight as Perak Higher Education, Science, Technology and Communications Committee chairman after the opposition came to power in Perak.

“I never expected to become an exco member. Never did I expect the opposition to come to power,” he added.

For Su, becoming an exco member has been a sacrifice of sorts.

“I quit my job as a lawyer on the Friday before the swearing-in ceremony. I’ve been practising law at the same firm since 1994 and I left with a heavy heart,” he said.

Su now also has less time for his family, especially his toddler son.


Thomas Su. . . not used to the attention.

“No doubt, it’s a sacrifice but it is something I want to do to bring up Perak. There is a bigger aim and a bigger picture to it,” he said.

Hoping to bring development to the state in terms of higher education, Su said shouting slogans was not enough to realise policies created by the former state government.

“In principle, these policies are good but we really need to fine-tune them. We need to really work at them and 2015 (target year for Perak to be a developed state) is too short a time to achieve anything,” he said.

How much time do you spend on the computer?

I use the internet only to check my email and political news.

What kind of music do you listen to? Please name a favourite song.

Rock songs. My favourite song is Forever Young by Alphaville.

Are you into the English Premier League football? What’s your team and favourite player?

Yes. I always support the underdogs.

What do you play? Who is your favourite sports star?

I took up golfing but gave up. I like playing volleyball. My favourite sports star is British Olympic legend Daley Thompson.

Got a nickname?

Fei Lo (fatty in Cantonese) for obvious reasons and Suski at my former legal firm which was started by a former colleague.

What is your usual drink?

Whiskey and beer.

What languages can you speak?

English, Malay, Chinese.

What is the gadget you can’t do without?

My Apple iPhone.

What’s your favourite food?

Curry mee.

Do you have a pet?

Yes, a cocker spaniel named Blackie.

What car do you drive and how long have you had it?

A 30-year-old Mercedes Benz that just gave up on me and a Mercedes Benz 230e I’ve had since 2006.

Favourite actor, and why.

Ben Stiller. I just like him.

Favourite actress, and why.

Cameron Diaz in Something About Mary.

What do you dislike most about Malaysians?

Lack of civic-mindedness.

Which sector in Malaysia would you like to see improvement in?

All sectors. We need to change the citizens’ mindset.

If there is one thing you wish you can change in the country, what would that be? I want equality where merit is the order of the day with no racial policies.

No comments: