IPOH: May 9, 2008
Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin is keeping mum on comments that he wilted and buckled under royal pressure.
Asked about the statement by DAP chairman Karpal Singh that he had bowed down by apologising to Sultan of Perak Sultan Azlan Shah over the reinstatement of Perak Religious Department (JAIP) director Datuk Jamry Sury, Nizar said: “No. No. No. No statement from me.”
Speaking to reporters yesterday after a meeting with non-governmental organisations at the state secretariat, Nizar also said that no date had been fixed for the meeting with Sultan Azlan Shah to extend his apology.
Nizar had on April 29 transferred Jamry out of JAIP, supposedly for the latter’s refusal to cooperate with the new state government.
Three days later, Sultan Azlan Shah, through his son Raja Dr Nazrin Shah, ordered Nizar to retract the transfer order immediately.
The Regent of Perak, who is also Perak Malay Custom and Religious Council chairman, told Nizar that matters pertaining to the appointment, placement and transfer of officers and staff who managed Islamic affairs came under the jurisdiction of the Sultan, as the head of Islam in the state.
Since then, Nizar had said he would seek an audience with Sultan Azlan Shah to apologise for his 24-hour removal of Jamry.
On its report card after administering the state for 50 days, Nizar said:
“What we can do and within our reach we have already announced. Those that need time to study, we will announce when we are ready as we don’t want to suddenly find that we cannot fulfil the promises.”
Nizar noted that the people’s confidence towards the new state government was getting better and the state government was also getting more stable.
“Although we are facing pressure, that is usual,” he said, appealing for another 50 days to see the results.
Earlier during his meeting, Nizar urged for the people’s patience with the new state government.
“We are doing things one step at a time. Rest assured, we are aware of your plight,” he said.